Aquatic therapy has been shown to provide relief of symptoms from a variety of arthritides, traumatic injuries, and other musculoskeletal conditions. This procedure uses the therapeutic properties of water (e.g., buoyancy, resistance). The Aquatic Therapy Program is ideal for patients with musculoskeletal conditions such as arthritis, fibromyalgia, sports/orthopedic injuries, pregnancy and other conditions involving weakness, pain or impaired motion.
At IPPMC, we offer the only clinical therapeutic pool facility in the St. Cloud area; State of the Art Green Athletic Club and Fitness Center, Executive Locker Room facilities with showers and towels. Aqua Therapies such as: Bad Ragaz, Watsu and Ai Chi performed in a healing environment that include a therapeutic heated therapy pool with Badu resistance jets offering a water massage, steam sauna, Jacuzzi and stretching areas
Our friendly compassionate staff of physicians and occupational therapists are nationally certified in aquatic therapy and have years of experience. The rehabilitation therapists and specialists will personalize an aquatic therapy program to fit the needs of each patient with a goal of reducing pain and maximizing function.
- Allows patients to improve their strength, range of motion and endurance while decreasing pain.
- Buoyancy of the pool allows patients to move easily, decreasing pressure and stress on muscles, joints and bones.
- Patients can safely and comfortably exercise while their injuries heal.
- Patients in water up to their waist experience a 50% decrease in weight-bearing activity.
- Patients in water up to their neck experience a 90% decrease in weight-bearing activity.
- Relaxation in the therapeutic pool releases the body’s natural pain killers, endorphins, which produce white blood cells to boost the immune system, helping to fight bacteria, viruses and toxins. Endorphins also help to reduce stress and improve mood.
- Hydrostatic pressure applied in the pool, increases the healing process in the lower extremities by increasing
circulation from the legs to the heart, reducing swelling and pressure on joint.
- The variable resistance of the pool water improves patients balance, coordination and strength by utilizing dynamic stabilizing muscles.
- The density of the water slows movement and supports bodily positions that would otherwise be unstable on land and increases the range of motion on joints with restricted action.
Classes to Join
The clinic offers sessions for the beginner, intermediate and advanced patient. The classes are personalized to each patient’s therapy needs.
The following classes we offer are:
- Individual and group sessions in the pool
- Water massage therapy
- Deep tissue muscle/joint sessions
- Water aerobics
- Deep water exercise
- Independent exercise to continue after therapy through gym membership.
- Deep Water`Fibromyalgia Classes
- Arthritis Classes
- Pain Management Classes
- One-on-one therapy to develop individual exercise program
- Bad Ragaz
- Ai Chi